en
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Benjamin Sørensen  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:10:31 PM(UTC)
Benjamin Sørensen

Groups: extranet\Forum

Hi
I'm looking at the TARGIT_LOG table in the misc. database.
Some requests are logged twice, e.g.:

vfs://Global/Dynamics AX/Sales Management/Revenue Analysis report.xview
vfs://Global/Dynamics AX/Sales Management/Revenue Analysis report.xview *

Whats with the * request ?
Peter  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:51:13 PM(UTC)
Peter

Hi Benjamin

This indicates that the user has changed the analyses in some way - it's the "dirty flag" for the analysis been modified.

Peter
Benjamin Sørensen  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:53:49 AM(UTC)
Benjamin Sørensen

Hi Peter,
Ok - so these rows should be discarded when looking at the log to analyse usage?
/Benjamin
Peter  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:43:32 PM(UTC)
Peter

I would say the opposite; this is where you need to really analyze whats going on. If the user complains about a slow query this indicates that the user has modified the analyses and maybe created a structure that will perform poorly on the backend (e.g. nesting several layers of large dimension attributes and not utilizing member properties or a hierarchy).

Peter
Benjamin Sørensen  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 2:27:26 PM(UTC)
Benjamin Sørensen

how is this indicated in the log tables?
this analysis have been loaded 29.429 times this year, and the same analysis - with the * - has been loaded 4.297 times. So total load is 33.726 or ?
What exactly do you been by "the user has modified the analysis" ? e.g. adding a dimension or measure to a cross tab or adding a new cross tab ? how does this reflect poor performance ... or a'm I mistaken?
Cheers,
Benjamin
Peter  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 1:03:41 PM(UTC)
Peter

Total load for the analysis is 33.726 times, of these the 4.297 times means the user has made changes to the analysis one way or the other.

If you have a scenario where the analyses runs in 3 seconds for each of the 29.429 times and one of the * marked
4.297 repeatedly runs in 3 minutes and its the same user running the report then you should look deeper into why this is the case. Maybe you can optimize it for the user so he gets the experience as everyone else (use a better hierarchy, use member properties, add an aggregation).

Peter
Dennis de Gier  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 1:57:22 PM(UTC)
Dennis de Gier

Hi Benjamin

If you are just interested in usage statistics and not hunting for performance problems as suggested by Peter, I would count the * marked entries as usage of the particular analysis - the reason is that the analysis was opened by a user, then modified without saving it and then re-run in the active user session. So even though it was not run in the form in which it was saved, it was still used as the basis for the user's actions.

Does this make sense? ;-)
Benjamin Sørensen  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 9:43:16 AM(UTC)
Benjamin Sørensen

That does make more sense :) At the moment I'm only looking at usage - I've exported the table data to a csv file and used XBone to load it into TargIT - that works like a dream :D
I'll keep in mind to check with the log next time someone has a performance issue with an analysis.
Thanks Dennis & Peter.