en
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stephen  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 4:17:24 PM(UTC)
Stephen

Groups: extranet\Customer

Hello, I'm trying to save myself a little work by creating a couple dashboards from the same cube i created. The dashboards show similar but different data. My issue is that I have location set up in the criteria bar so users can filter the data, but i don't want one of the dashboards to show every location that happens to be in the cube. Is it possible to filter what shows up in the global criteria bar so i can have different locations show up for each of the dashboards?

I'm currently manually setting up the global criteria so only the data i want shows up, but when you click the global criteria drop down, the other locations still show up as a selection.

Thank you.
Peter  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:48:01 PM(UTC)
Peter

Hi Stephen

If you want to limit the data exposed to the end user you can create a Role within the TARGIT Management (Studio) application and apply a forced criteria for the user, however this will limit the data to the selection you're making, for example will a Forced Criteria = Denmark, Sweden, Norway prevent the user from seeing the TOTAL for all countries.

If this is not what you want then you'll have to do some "magic" with setting up "Decorations" within Management and find a measure where there only will be data available for the locations you want. You may want to consider utilizing our Consulting Services-department to help you out.

Best Regards,

Peter
Páll Bjarkason  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 10:08:20 AM(UTC)
Páll Bjarkason

Hi Stephen

Don’t know exactly what you are trying to achieve, but there is an easy way to get different location to show up for each dashboard.

This can be done by using the local criteria, as the local criteria takes precedence over the global criteria.

Via the local criteria you can e.g. specify an exact country for a dashboard. This dashboard will not be affected if the global criterion is set to a different country. Other dashboards without the local criterion react to the global criterion. The result is that you can show different countries for each dashboard.

Edited by user Thursday, July 25, 2013 10:17:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards

Páll, CTS
Stephen  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:01:47 PM(UTC)
Stephen

Thank you for the replies.

Just to clarify. I have a Location dimension in my Cube which includes locations A, B, C, D, and E. For the one dashboard i want to be able to select one or more locations from the Global Criteria bar to filter by, but I would only like locations A, B, and C to show up. The other Dashboard will have it's data filtered via it's global criteria (not from usable global criteria bar) to just always show locations D and E, so there isn't really an issue there.

I know I can edit the data source to create a separate location dimension for each dashboard, but i kind of wanted to avoid that.

Sorry if i didn't use the proper terminology for what's in Targit.

Peter, I'll mess around with Roles in Management Studio and see if that helps.

Thank you,
Steve
Stephen  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:10:00 PM(UTC)
Stephen

Just to clarify some more.

It would be preferable if I can filter this criteria at the document (dashboard?) level.

The end users get these dashboards via the SharePoint web part. So they are pretty much set up and ready to go when they access them. It's my job to get the data they need and display it how they want. So permissions are handled by the SharePoint site in which the dashboard resides.

Ole  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 3:40:41 PM(UTC)
Ole

Hi Steve,

Provided that you only have a limited range of locations and provided that your end-users do not need to change criteria on other dimensions, I think you should be able to solve your issue with TARGIT's "Stored Criteria" feature.

You will need to create as many stored criteria as you have locations. You do this through the Criteria Editor where you save the stored criteria, e.g. Atlanta = Atlanta, Chigaco = Chigaco, Florida = Florida etc.

Next, for each of your dashboards you add a "Stored criteria selector" to the criteria bar (right click to add). Now, right click the selector to define which of the stored criteria should be available for the current dashboard.

In this way you can have individual lists of locations for individual dashboards.

BR / Ole
I work as an employee with TARGIT A/S. Any statement made by me in this forum represents my own opinion and state of mind, and is not necessarily related to or representative of TARGIT A/S.

UserPostedImage Ole Dyring
Stephen  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 4:40:30 PM(UTC)
Stephen

Hi Ole,

Thank you for the advice. This looks like it does pretty much what I was trying to accomplish. The only downside is that other criteria that may have been chosen prior resets when you select a location this way. This is a pretty minor though.

I was thinking i could also just add a cross tab with some calculation per location, the user could then just select the location from here. This is convenient because the locations being displayed would be determined by the global criteria I set.

Thank you very much for the help.

Steve