en
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rasmus Remmer Nielsen  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:04:19 PM(UTC)
Rasmus Remmer Nielsen

Groups: extranet\Forum

I have some calculated columns in a crosstab. Let's name them "Calc A", "Calc B".. through "Calc F".

How do I sum up on these columns using a named reference?

something akin to the named references usable with dimensions, e.g. if they had been dimensions I would have referenced them directly like this "sum(@"[Calc A]"(l1),0,m1)+sum(@"[Calc B]"(l1),0,m1).. etc.

I know it can be done by referencing them as c1, c2, c3 - but this is not the question.
Niels Thomsen  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:25:37 PM(UTC)
Niels Thomsen

Hi Rasmus

Currently it's not possible to reference a calculation by name or as if it was a dimension member.

I can see the advantage if you have a lot of calculations - which are basis for other calculations etc.
Then it's easier to keep track of what you are doing, if the calculations can be referenced as e.g. Revenue - Cost instead of c1-c2.

However I can't think of a need-to-have situation for this feature - only nice-to-have :-)

If you think it is absolutely necessary for you to reference calculations by name, maybe you could elaborate a little on your scenario?

Hope it makes sense.
Hope it makes sense.

Best Regards
Niels Thomsen

https://dk.linkedin.com/in/ncthomsen

Rasmus Remmer Nielsen  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:56:32 AM(UTC)
Rasmus Remmer Nielsen

Hi Niels,

Thanks for the response. I was hoping that I had merely overlooked the option, but knowing it is not there will save me time looking for it :)

In any case, I have (at the moment) less than 10 calculations so it's not a big issue right now in the development stage, but the minute the analysis gets deployed to the users, they will have requests to re-order columns and create percentage calculations next to the individual columns - or removing them if I put them there in development - (thereby changing the reference calculation of subsequent calculations, making it necessary for me to re-do all the calculations multiple times).