en
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Felix  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 9, 2013 11:09:49 AM(UTC)
Felix

Groups: extranet\Forum

Hello,

I've installed the trial version of Targit BI. Everything worked fine until I tried to add a connection to SSAS in the Targit management tool.
I could not get a connection so I tried to change the security settings within the mangement tool.
And suddenly I cloud not connect to the Targit server running on localhost anymore, although I changed all the settings back to default.
I had no idea how to solve the problem so I reinstalled the complete Targit bi software.
And now I am here looking for help - I still cannot connect to the localhost server and either I cannot change the server settings.

When I try to connect to the server from the Targit BI software I get the error:"Connection aborted. The specified target is unkown or unreachable."

When I open the management software and try to change the settings of the localhost server I get following message:
"Server not found" or "Range check error".
I unchecked the server, I tryed different ports, I did restarts and I reinstalled the complete software for about three times now.

I hope you can help me.
My Operating system is windows 8.

Kind regards,

Felix
Ole  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 9, 2013 11:16:37 AM(UTC)
Ole

I would try another reinstall. When you do a reinstall, make sure you remove the old software in this way:

1. Use Control Panel to remove TARGIT software.
2. Manually remove the physical TARGIT folder. For version 2013, remove the C:\ProgramData\TARGIT folder. For versions pre-2013, remove the C:\Program Files\TARGIT folder.

BR / Ole
I work as an employee with TARGIT A/S. Any statement made by me in this forum represents my own opinion and state of mind, and is not necessarily related to or representative of TARGIT A/S.

UserPostedImage Ole Dyring
Peter  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:44:24 PM(UTC)
Peter

Hi Felix

The error "The specified target is unknown or unreachable" can also be the cause of some invalid SPN settings in Active Directory meaning that Kerberos is failing.
I would assume the reason for this to be that you went to "Security" in the Management application and changed the setting from NTLM. I always recommend customers to set the security to "Negotiate" since it provides the benefits of Kerberos as well as fallback to NTLM preventing you from ending in a situation where a configuration error prevents you from logging in.

If you follow Ole's advise you should get back to where you left off, however if you want to achieve your goal I suggest the following:

1. Ensure the firewall on the server hosting SSAS allows application from other servers to connect (if you have issues try turning it completely off)
2. Go into the Windows Services-control panel and change the user running the ANTserver service account to a AD account that has full access to the analysis services server. TARGIT ANTserver uses this account to read metadata and perform queries on SSAS (unless you choose to use "Impersonation" - however for a demo environment I suggest not going into that detailed a configuration as it possibly will end up involving Active Directory configuration.
3. Create a connection using the TARGIT Management-application to the SSAS server
4. ... Connect with the TARGIT client to the server hosting the TARGIT ANTserver (NOT the SSAS server) and start experiencing the worlds most userfriendly BI and Analytics-package.

Let us know if you succeed ;-)

Best Regards,

Peter Orum
Product Manager
Felix  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:47:24 PM(UTC)
Felix

Thanks for your reply! Deleting the C:\ProgramData\TARGIT folder solved the issue.
I will try adding a connection to the Analysis Server later this day.

Best regards,

Felix
Felix  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:58:43 PM(UTC)
Felix

Okay, I still cannot connect to my Analysis Server.

- My user account is an administator account
- Firewall of the system running the SSAS is turned off

When I type in the server name and click on "Test connection on server" it says "ok".
But there are now databases listed in the dropdown.
When I type in the database name manually it does not work.

Any idea ?

Edited by user Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:59:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ole  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2013 9:24:35 AM(UTC)
Ole

Could be one of many issues:

- Testing connection without first selecting a database does not necessarily mean a valid connection.
- Your connection type (SSAS 2012 / SSAS 2008 /SSAS 2005) must match the version of your SQL server.
- Your SSAS database has not been properly processed (can you browse it through the SQL Management Studio?)
- Authentication issues...

Maybe others can add to the list of potential reasons.

BR / Ole
I work as an employee with TARGIT A/S. Any statement made by me in this forum represents my own opinion and state of mind, and is not necessarily related to or representative of TARGIT A/S.

UserPostedImage Ole Dyring
Peter  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 13, 2013 1:37:53 PM(UTC)
Peter

For testing I would suggest that you use SQL Server Management Studio to connect to your SSAS instance and give the ANTserver the correct permissions. Here are some screenshots that can help you to get it running in the test scenario:

1. Make sure that the server you have installed TARGIT on have the appropriate ADOMD.NET drivers installed. TARGIT Decision Suite 2013 by default comes with the ADOMD.NET drivers for SQL Server 2012. If you're running an earlier version (SQL 2005 or newer) you have to download the ADOMD.NET (x64) from Microsoft's Web Site (I suggest using google to search for e.g. "SQL Server 2005 feature pack" and then find the latest and greatest release of ADOMD.NET)

2. Ensure ANTserver is running under an AD user account.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

3. Give permissions to the SSAS

Login into SQL Server Management Studio on the server running SSAS

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Please note: If you have roles in your SSAS cube these may override the administrator settings. In that case you have to either add the user to the individual cube or for testing purposes you have to remove them completely.

If this doesn't work write back and I will do my best to help you in getting a good demo experience.

Best Regards,

Peter
Felix  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:34:54 AM(UTC)
Felix

Thank you so much, it works now ! :)