Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lisa Rhone  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 7:34:09 PM(UTC)
Lisa Rhone

Groups: extranet\Forum

We have a hierarchical dimension wherein some of the children are repeated. Visually, it looks like this:

An example of some of the dimensions with duplicate child members might be

1000 - Atlantic Distributors
1100 - Tom's Bakery
1101 - Tom's Bakery East
1102 - Tom's Bakery West
1200 - Aunty Jane's Grocery

2000 - Thompsons Wholesale
2100 - Tom's Bakery
2101 - Tom's Bakery East
2102 - Tom's Bakery South
2200 - Frank's Corner Store

This works great when we want to report on the first level, but obviously the children are different dimensions with the same name, so if we want to report based on our second level, CUSTOMER GROUP, it shows multiple lines for Tom's Bakery like so:

Tom's Bakery - $500
Tom's Bakery - $1000

What we'd like is to see:

Tom's Bakery - $1500

Is there a way to get Targit to group by dimension name instead of dimension number for a situation like this? I know we could create a vertical comparison to achieve this result, but it would mean updating our reports if a third CORP GROUP took on Tom's Bakery, so I am trying to avoid that.

When I posted, it stripped my leading spaces - not as easy to see the structure. here's how it looks in my edit window. Hopefully a little clearer.

Edited by user Monday, April 21, 2014 10:07:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:24:29 AM(UTC)

Hi Lisa,

I am afraid it will require you to work with your Data Warehouse to modify your dimension or to create a new dimension.

Right now your Customer Group dimension seems to include numeric keys to make unique dimension members, e.g. "1100 - Tom's Bakery" and "2100 - Tom's Bakery". This is what you would normally want to do in a Data Warehouse.

To accomplish your specific requirement, in your Data Warehouse, you would have to create a new dimension with a simpler key like "Tom's Bakery".

There is no way you can otherwise handle this in the client (except by use of comparisons - which you already dismissed).

BR / Ole
I work as an employee with TARGIT A/S. Any statement made by me in this forum represents my own opinion and state of mind, and is not necessarily related to or representative of TARGIT A/S.

UserPostedImage Ole Dyring
Lisa Rhone  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:16:36 PM(UTC)
Lisa Rhone

Hi Ole,

Thanks for the quick reply - it's what I was expecting, but I thought I'd check in just in case I was missing a checkbox somewhere. :)