en
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cindy Makarowsky  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:20:10 PM(UTC)
Cindy Makarowsky

Groups: extranet\Forum

I am using the latest version of Targit (2013 build 6335). This is a new server that I moved Targit to. I am able to connect to any database using the Relational Database option. But, when I try and connect to the same server but choosing the Multi-Dimensional database option>MS Analysis Services 2008, after typing in the server name, I click the list box for Database and receive this error:

The server connection failed with the following message:
"connections.getdatabases"

If this does not indicate the specific reason then consider these common connection problems.....

I installed the ADOnet drivers for Sql Server 2008 R2 from here as SQL Server isn't on this machine and this is a Windows 2012 R2 server machine:

http://www.microsoft.com...ad/details.aspx?id=16978

Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Native Client
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client (SQL Server Native Client) is a single dynamic-link library (DLL) containing both the SQL OLE DB provider and SQL ODBC driver. It contains run-time support for applications using native-code APIs (ODBC, OLE DB and ADO) to connect to Microsoft SQL Server 2000, 2005, or 2008. SQL Server Native Client should be used to create new applications or enhance existing applications that need to take advantage of new SQL Server 2008 R2 features. This redistributable installer for SQL Server Native Client installs the client components needed during run time to take advantage of new SQL Server 2008 R2 features, and optionally installs the header files needed to develop an application that uses the SQL Server Native Client API.

What else could be the problem? I can connect to this same cube on our old server with no issues although Analysis Services is local on that machine. The ant server service has a login name of me and I do have access to Analysis Services on the machine I'm trying to connect to. Any ideas?
Peter  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:58:24 PM(UTC)
Peter

You have to check the following:

1. The driver you're installing for SSAS must be the ADOMD.NET (and should be obtained from the latest available feature pack)

2. The user under which the ANTserver is running (service account) must have permissions to read from the server. This can be done by adding the user as administrator on SSAS.
a) Start SQL Server Mgmt Studio on the server hosting SSAS
b) Connect to the SSAS instance
c) Rightclick the SSAS instance name and choose properties
d) Go to permissions and add the user to the administrator group

Alternatively you have to edit the role inside the cube and allow the user "read definition"-rights.

3. Check the firewall on the SSAS server and verify whether it's blocking connections to SSAS.

Best Regards,

Peter
Cindy Makarowsky  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:57:44 PM(UTC)
Cindy Makarowsky

I installed SSMS on the server and can connect to the server hosting SSAS with no problem and can see all the database cubes in SSAS. The user that is being used to run the ANT server was already in the administrator group on SSAS. I installed the client connectivity feature through the 2012 installer. I still receive the same problem connecting to the SSAS cube through the Targit Management Studio. So, is this a driver problem? I've installed all the ADOMD.NET drivers for SQL Server 2008 R2 that I can find and still no luck. Can you send me a link to the ADOMD.NET drivers for SQL Server 2008 R2 that I need? I believe I've installed them but I'm not sure what else to try at this point.

Thanks,

Cindy
Cindy Makarowsky  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 5, 2014 3:47:32 PM(UTC)
Cindy Makarowsky

I turned the firewall off and tried to connect and receive the same error. So, does it point to more of a driver problem?
Morten Søndergaard  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2014 11:01:36 AM(UTC)
Morten Søndergaard

You need to install ADOMD.NET driver on the server.