en
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SO  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:12:21 AM(UTC)
SO

Groups: extranet\Forum

When should auto-filter member list be used and when should it not?

Why are members removed when checking auto-filter member list?
Ole  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:36:14 AM(UTC)
Ole

Suppose you have two dimensions available: A Salesperson dimension and a Country dimension. Each salesperson is responsible for different markets, i.e. one salesperson (Vern) is selling only in a few countries (Denmark, Norway, Sweden), while another salesperson (Arjuna) is responsible for sales in other countries (France, Germany, Italy) and so on.

Without auto-filter, you will be able to select Salesperson = Vern and Country = Germany. The result will be an empty result as Vern hasn't sold anything in Germany.

With auto-filter enabled, you may first select Vern from the Salespersons list, and then the auto-filter will make sure that you can only select between Denmark, Norway and Sweden from the Country list - all other countries have been auto-filtered away.

So, the auto-filter option is mainly to prevent combinations of criteria from different dimensions that will end up with an empty result.

BR / Ole
I work as an employee with TARGIT A/S. Any statement made by me in this forum represents my own opinion and state of mind, and is not necessarily related to or representative of TARGIT A/S.

UserPostedImage Ole Dyring
SO  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 12:47:14 PM(UTC)
SO

od@targit.com wrote:
Suppose you have two dimensions available: A Salesperson dimension and a Country dimension. Each salesperson is responsible for different markets, i.e. one salesperson (Vern) is selling only in a few countries (Denmark, Norway, Sweden), while another salesperson (Arjuna) is responsible for sales in other countries (France, Germany, Italy) and so on.

Without auto-filter, you will be able to select Salesperson = Vern and Country = Germany. The result will be an empty result as Vern hasn't sold anything in Germany.

With auto-filter enabled, you may first select Vern from the Salespersons list, and then the auto-filter will make sure that you can only select between Denmark, Norway and Sweden from the Country list - all other countries have been auto-filtered away.

So, the auto-filter option is mainly to prevent combinations of criteria from different dimensions that will end up with an empty result.

BR / Ole

Thanks. So it sounds like I should not use auto-filter if it's likely that for example Vern sells something in Germany next year and I don't want to make a new comparison if that happends.

I'm working on a big comparison with about 150 members in my dimension, the purpose of the comparison is to make 6 product groups. I have an "Others" group, would it be reasonable to in that group include all members not selected in the first 5 groups and not use auto-filter? I want the total amount for the 6 groups to always match the total amount in my other cross tab which shows total sales year to date pr month.