en
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Burak Sahin  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:49:56 PM(UTC)
Burak Sahin

Groups: extranet\Customer

Hi all,

In Targit MDX EXISTING keyword is not supported i noticed..

In criteria bar, [Date].[Simple Calendar] hierarchy is selected which is included Year and Month values..

In my example, calculation member is,
(((EXISTING [Date].[Simple Calendar].[Month].Members).Item(0)), [Measures].[Sales AC])
When multi selection is done, it returns the value of sales of the first of the month selected.
In Targit it returns blanks but in Excel or Visual Studio it returns true value..

Then i change the MDX code for testing,
Count(EXISTING [Date].[Simple Calendar].[Month].Members)

When one year is selected then it returns 12
When one month is selected then it returns 1
When more than one year or month is selected then it returns always 252 which is total months of Date dimension.

So how can i rewrite my calculations and why EXISTING keyword is not supported? Do you think this problem can be solved?
It is a very sad situation.. :(

Targit Version: 2K10 4209 (will be upgraded 2K11 soon)
Data Source: SSAS 2008 Cubes

Thanks.. Kind Regards..
Ole  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:01:23 AM(UTC)
Ole

I did a small test with your Count example:
MonthCount = Count(EXISTING [Date].[Simple Calendar].[Month].Members)

In my case, in the TARGIT client, it returned 12 when selecting just one year and it returned 167 when selecting two years...! :-(

The problem seems to be due to use of SubCubes in SSAS 2008.

In the TARGIT Management Studio, for an individual database Connections, you may disable use of Subcubes. (Right-click connection / Properties.)

After having disabled SubCubes my MonthCount correctly returned 24 when selecting 2 years in the TARGIT client.

Be aware that disabling SubCubes may have a negative effect on performance - however, in most cases, this effect is too small to be noticed.

Edited by user Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:05:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I work as an employee with TARGIT A/S. Any statement made by me in this forum represents my own opinion and state of mind, and is not necessarily related to or representative of TARGIT A/S.

UserPostedImage Ole Dyring
Burak Sahin  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2011 3:41:22 PM(UTC)
Burak Sahin

od@targit.com wrote:
I did a small test with your Count example:
MonthCount = Count(EXISTING [Date].[Simple Calendar].[Month].Members)

In my case, in the TARGIT client, it returned 12 when selecting just one year and it returned 167 when selecting two years...! :-(

The problem seems to be due to use of SubCubes in SSAS 2008.

In the TARGIT Management Studio, for an individual database Connections, you may disable use of Subcubes. (Right-click connection / Properties.)

After having disabled SubCubes my MonthCount correctly returned 24 when selecting 2 years in the TARGIT client.

Be aware that disabling SubCubes may have a negative effect on performance - however, in most cases, this effect is too small to be noticed.

I disable the SubCubes property and check my calculations again..
And the result is great! I'm really grateful to you.. I'm working on a very long time. :(

If this is a problem/bug or something for Targit Client, will there be a plan for solution? I wondered it..

Anyway, thank you very much again for your help. Have a nice day.. =)

Thanks.. Kind Regards..
Ole  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2011 12:46:57 PM(UTC)
Ole

burak.sahin@linde.com wrote:
If this is a problem/bug or something for Targit Client, will there be a plan for solution? I wondered it..

It is not a bug in the TARGIT Client. SubCubes is a feature of SSAS. In TARGIT (Management Studio) we simply decide whether to profit from SubCubes or not. In most cases you gain a performance improvement - without further complications. In a few cases - as this one – SubCubes should not be used as it invalidates the resulting data.
I work as an employee with TARGIT A/S. Any statement made by me in this forum represents my own opinion and state of mind, and is not necessarily related to or representative of TARGIT A/S.

UserPostedImage Ole Dyring
Burak Sahin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:20:35 PM(UTC)
Burak Sahin

od@targit.com wrote:
burak.sahin@linde.com wrote:

It is not a bug in the TARGIT Client. SubCubes is a feature of SSAS. In TARGIT (Management Studio) we simply decide whether to profit from SubCubes or not. In most cases you gain a performance improvement - without further complications. In a few cases - as this one – SubCubes should not be used as it invalidates the resulting data.

I see.. Thank you for informing..

Have a nice day..