en
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SO  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2015 8:51:48 AM(UTC)
SO

Groups: extranet\Forum

I have a bar chart with reversed signs and the value showing as labels. This works great.

But now I also need to add percent as label in addition to the value. The percent shows as a negative percent number and I don't know how to change it. How can this be solved? Is it a bug?

I tried to convert it to a donut chart and a pie chart, there both the percent and value shows as a positive number in the legend and label without any further change needed.
Steffen Davidsen  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2015 9:51:23 AM(UTC)
Steffen Davidsen

Originally Posted by: SO Go to Quoted Post
I have a bar chart with reversed signs and the value showing as labels. This works great.

But now I also need to add percent as label in addition to the value. The percent shows as a negative percent number and I don't know how to change it. How can this be solved? Is it a bug?

I tried to convert it to a donut chart and a pie chart, there both the percent and value shows as a positive number in the legend and label without any further change needed.

Hi SO!

I have tried to replicate your problem with the demo data without any luck. Could you maybe supply us with a screenshot?

Values and percentages are always separated with a "-" when using labels, but I assume that is not the what you are referring to?
Does the analysis look okay if you use positive values, by either using the absolute value function ,abs(x), or multiplying with -1 in a calculation?

Best regards,
Steffen
SO  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2015 10:12:04 AM(UTC)
SO

Originally Posted by: Steffen Davidsen Go to Quoted Post

Hi SO!

I have tried to replicate your problem with the demo data without any luck. Could you maybe supply us with a screenshot?

Values and percentages are always separated with a "-" when using labels, but I assume that is not the what you are referring to?
Does the analysis look okay if you use positive values, by either using the absolute value function ,abs(x), or multiplying with -1 in a calculation?

Best regards,
Steffen

The label look like this "100 -- 75%", so there is an extra - in addition to the "-" separator sign. If I turn off "reverse signs" it's presented like "-100 - 75%", so then the first value turns negative again and the percent turns positive.

My vertical bar chart is made from a crosstab showing amount posted on some finance accounts.

Steffen Davidsen  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2015 10:51:13 AM(UTC)
Steffen Davidsen

The label look like this "100 -- 75%", so there is an extra - in addition to the "-" separator sign. If I turn off "reverse signs" it's presented like "-100 - 75%", so then the first value turns negative again and the percent turns positive.

My vertical bar chart is made from a crosstab showing amount posted on some finance accounts.

Okay, I have been able to replicate it then. The easy way to work around this problem, would be not to use the "reverse sign" function. Instead make a new calculation, and use one of the functions mentioned in the previous post.

In a simple table, you could simply do a new calculation looking like this:

sum(0,0,m1)*(-1)

or use (if and only if all numbers are negative):

abs(sum(0,0,m1))

Call this calculation the same as the original, and go to visibility in the properties menu to hide the original one. That should solve the problem.

However, I do agree that this is a minor bug. On the other hand - I would suggest other users to use custom calculations as often as possible. It is a good exercise, and it gives you the skills to find solutions to challenges, that are not "point-and-click" obtainable.

Please let me know, if this did not solve your problem.

Best regards,
Steffen
SO  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2015 11:08:56 AM(UTC)
SO

Thanks for the help.

Since you were able to replicate it, and only one of the numbers has wrong sign, I would consider it a bug that should be fixed. Especially since it works like it should for donut chart and pie chart.

Multiplying it with (-1) is a possible work around, but in this case I rather switch to another type of chart instead of an extra custom calculation.