en
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Anton  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 2:26:40 PM(UTC)
Anton

Groups: extranet\Customer

I work in the IT departement of a company that uses the latest version of Targit.
Recently, more and more employees are requesting to know the exact calculations used to obtain measures. (revenue, margin etc). The man who helped to setup targit is no longer with the company, so i am left completely in the dark.

We are using MS Navision for business operations and MSSQL database for data storage. I also have access to the Targit server. How do i know the exact calculations used to tanslate Navision data into (ex) Targit revenue.
Everyone is starting to question the reliability of our targit reports.

Edited by user Monday, January 25, 2016 2:37:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ole  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 2:49:35 PM(UTC)
Ole

Hi Anton,

TARGIT (and any other BI tool) only reads the resulting measures from the Data Warehouse. It does not know what logic may lie behind any given measure.

To know that, there is no other way that to look into the Analysis Services Project on the SQL Server. The Analysis Services project holds all the information about definition of measures etc.

BR / Ole
I work as an employee with TARGIT A/S. Any statement made by me in this forum represents my own opinion and state of mind, and is not necessarily related to or representative of TARGIT A/S.

UserPostedImage Ole Dyring
Anton  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2016 12:54:18 PM(UTC)
Anton

Tnx for the reply!

I found the SSAS cube using Business Intelligence development studio. I know that this is not directly related to Targit, but any idea how to view calculations for the measures? Can i do it through the Analysis Project or SQL management studio?

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Tuesday, January 26, 2016 12:57:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ole  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2016 1:32:02 PM(UTC)
Ole

You will need to back-track it.

For a measure like the one in your screenshot, simply right click it to open up Properties. The Source property will tell you from where it originated. However, this origin may be something directly from a unmodified source table; it could also be something from a View - you will then have to look up the SQL Server Management Studio to see how this View was created; it could also be a modified field in a staging database - you will then need to look into the SSIS packages that automatically updates your Data Warehouse to look for any SQL scripts or conversions that are responsible for the modification; it could also be coming from a so-called Named Calculation - you will need to look in the Data Source View (of your Analysis Services project) to know how that has been made.

Apart from "standard" measures, you should also look at the Calculations tab of your cubes. Calculations are made from more or less complex MDX scripts, and they will show up as standard measures to the end-users in the TARGIT client.

I hope this is helpful to you. It is not a tedious task to back track these things, and would normally require an experienced consultant to do so.

Best regards,
Ole
I work as an employee with TARGIT A/S. Any statement made by me in this forum represents my own opinion and state of mind, and is not necessarily related to or representative of TARGIT A/S.

UserPostedImage Ole Dyring