en
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SO  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2016 10:04:42 AM(UTC)
SO

Groups: extranet\Forum

I have two date columns (column1 and column2) in my data source (from excel) and a new column (column3) which I created in data modeler. Column3 should check if column1 is blank or null, and if it's blank/null it should get it's data from column2.

I can't get to trigger the action if the column is blank, and I have tried several different formulas.

if(isblankorempty(&column1)=TRUE,&column2,&column1)

I've also tried if(&column1=null,&column2,&column1)

and a different approach

if(isblankorempty(&column1)=TRUE,"Field is blank","Field is not blank") -> leaves me only the text "Field is not blank", also when column1 is blank.

Any idea what my problem is?

I have read the available documentation here https://doc.targit.com/e...formats/formulas/logical , it seems like the syntax is some kind of a hybrid between Excel, SQL and Targit's own.

SO  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2016 7:49:18 AM(UTC)
SO

isblankorempty(&column1) gives me "False" return even if the cell in my excel sheet seems blank and empty. Any idea what my problem is?

How can I check if the cell is really blank or empty? In Excel there are no visible values in these cells.
Peter  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 6:50:13 PM(UTC)
Peter

When the TARGIT Data Discovery tool has detected a datatype as being a date it will be represented by the date 0001-00-00.

Therefore you cannot use tests to see if the value is blank or test for a null value.

You can however check the value of the year by using this formula:

if(year(&DateCol)=1,"Blank","Has A Year!")

The syntax of the expressions are in general Excel format - and is not in any way related to the syntax in the crosstab calculations.

Here's a screenshot with some demo data - I hope this helps you!
https://i.imgur.com/QOuVGTT.png
SO  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 2:00:48 PM(UTC)
SO

Originally Posted by: Peter Go to Quoted Post
When the TARGIT Data Discovery tool has detected a datatype as being a date it will be represented by the date 0001-00-00.

Therefore you cannot use tests to see if the value is blank or test for a null value.

You can however check the value of the year by using this formula:

if(year(&DateCol)=1,"Blank","Has A Year!")

The syntax of the expressions are in general Excel format - and is not in any way related to the syntax in the crosstab calculations.

Here's a screenshot with some demo data - I hope this helps you!
https://i.imgur.com/QOuVGTT.png

Thanks, that was not easy to guess since it displays as blank. Now it finally works.