en
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jonathan Lee  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2018 4:27:35 PM(UTC)
Jonathan Lee

Groups: extranet\Forum

I have 2 different crosstabs that I've used to develop a chart that displays measures over time. The stacked bar option is nice way to show the relative size difference between two measures within the same time period. In this case, it's month. There are (2) types of stacked bar and I'm trying to figure out why one of my graphs looks correct but the other one doesn't show the same result. It appears all of the chart options are set up the same.

Stacked - smaller number measure is on bottom and larger number is on top. Visually looks correct. However, the numbers are added together, thereby stretching the bar higher than it should be. Example, 20 sm and 100 lg, would show those values when I hover over them, but top of graph is at 120 where I would expect it to be 100.

Back to Back - this is the setting that produces desired result in the first version of the chart. Smaller measure is represented inside the larger measure and total from example above would show as 100 and not 120. I can't get that same representation on crosstab 2 though. When I try side by side, I lose the smaller measure completely and it just shows large measure.

Thanks!
Ole  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 12:17:55 PM(UTC)
Ole

Hi Jonathan,

Both probably work as they are intended to. 'Stacked' means 'on top of each other'. While 'Back to back' means 'in front of or behind each other'. What you think is 'inside' is in fact 'in front of'.

In the case where the smaller measures are lost in the 'back to back' version, it is simply a matter of the order of the two measures. When adding your measures to the graph, try adding them in the opposite order.

You could also try enabling the '3D' option on your graph - that might potentially make it clearer to you how things have been ordered.

BR / Ole
I work as an employee with TARGIT A/S. Any statement made by me in this forum represents my own opinion and state of mind, and is not necessarily related to or representative of TARGIT A/S.

UserPostedImage Ole Dyring
Jonathan Lee  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:58:12 PM(UTC)
Jonathan Lee

Thanks for the tips. It was the order of the measures as you suggested. Works great now!

Thanks,
Jon